Historia Can Banua Nin Caramoan
An banuang Caramoan, an camogtacan iyo an Peninsula o mina punta na liliboton nin tubig na cadagatan asin sa palibot caiyan an balaquid na lugar cagapoan na haralangcao an pagcamogtac y an iba iguana nin maniquitdiquit na baybayon asin an tubig na nacatangod dian la mayor parte hararom. Caya gnani n hayop na CARAHAN (Pawikan) sagcod gnonian na magna panahon may veces na nag sosorogoc pa sa sinabing magna baybayon. Can enot na panahon segun sa informacion nin magna gurang na caidto culang pa an magna tawo asin sa palibot can punta nin Caramoan bihira an nag lalacao dian, caya an hayop na CARAHAN baco pang olam (wild) asin sa magna baybayon na sinabin cadacul o riborido an na cocoa na sogoc nin Carahan, sa lugar na iyan macuri an caogmahan huli ta pinag poporot sana, garo sarong bagay na dai nin halaga. Con an magna taga ibang lugar nacacoa nin dacul na sogoc naturalmente magpopoli na sa dating eroc asin an saindang pag abot, dacul man an nag sasabat, huli sa nag gnalas can sogoc nin Carahan, an iba mina hapot con saen nag cocoa cayan, huli ta dai sinda tatao caidtong kinoahan can sogoc, mina simbag na duman sa punta Carahan. Huli ta medio napapauot sinda can pag taram nin Carahan, pinag deribar o ipinag aguid sa tataramon na Caramoan, huli ta pinag sosogocan nin magna Carahan.
Yio ini an pagca gnarani nin Caramoan.
An Caramoan apesar historic an gnaran, sagcod can nagca pirang barrio na saiyang nasacupan, gninaranan man can lambang nanongdan. Arog baga can premirong barrio na iyo an Guijalo, can enot na panahon can so magna Castila mag abot digdi sa Caramoan, daing ibang aaguihan iyo an Puerto Guijalo, como buquid, pa, nag hanap nin nag guia, can macacoa na sinabihan can Castila na guialo, so nag guia, can sinaboot man na Guijalo iyo ini an pinonan con tadao ta gninaranan Guijalo.
HISTORY OF CARAMOAN
The history of our beloved town is a story of its aboriginal people from the blood, courage and love of freedom. It was built by a group of men who had lived in different times under numerous circumstances.
Each other has their shares during a long and hard struggle for survival. We had many individuals who exemplify the Caramoan capacity for leadership and public services.
Today, these honored men were names that actually mentioned in the historical records account in the municipality but during their times, they were the men who decided the destiny of its people during their incumbency that made our town in the forefront of development.
Caramoan is one of the oldest towns in Camarines Provinces. Many legends have been told but unrecorded replete with conflicting tales regarding its origin. This is due to fact that all records pertaining to its history were destroyed during the revolution in 1896 against Spain and the Filipinos and American respectively in 1898 to 1899.
The name Caramoan together with its mythical names was given by a Spanish Friar named Francisco dela Cruz y Oropesa a zealous and vulnerable 60 years old missionary priest who penetrated the rugged and mountainous of Caramoan peninsula and founded a place called Baluarte or Binanuahan 1687 who served as minister while gathering residents to establish the first mission of what would be the town of Caramoan until it was turned over to Sagrada Mitra in 1696 for administration in honor of the eldest daughter of King Philip II of Spain. It was officially used from the 1687 up to the present which was taken from the archives of the local priest in a book entitled ESTADO a comprehensive report of the geographic, topographic, statistics and religious history of the Philippines written and presented by S. Gregorio Magno, the author at Binondo, Manila in 1883. The official name of the municipality had been confirmed further during the American occupation upon establishments of the American Civil government in 1901 when the organizaton of the Philippines into provinces, municipalities and cities took place…
Long before the Spanish colonization of the Philippines, a group of adventurous Malays residing in place “BALUARTE” It was called Gutta de Leche (derived from the milk drop like stalagmites) found among the rocks in the harbor of Guta port by Spanish soldiers trying locate Dutch Gold Mines at Lahuy Island.
Afterwhich form the word Nagcaramoang meaning a place of broken teeth, and dumagats of the place called it Carahan, a sea turtle that abounds the shores and the seas of the municipality because it brings to life good memories, projects and promote nothing but goodness and you will reap abundance in friendship and blessings. The hard and durable shells of the crustacean are made to beautiful combs, necklaces, rings, earnings, bracelets as well as decorative pieces. As such, when the person goes out wearing those trinkets in a fit of administration, the natives would reclaim to them Cara-moan meaning what a beautiful things you’re wearing.
It was established as a parish in 1650 and subsequently became a municipality in 1830.The recorded story of Caramoan did not start until the later parts of the 18th century, although stories by word-of-mouth, traces its early beginning in the 13th century. The actual ‘”Christianization” of Camarines Sur started during the beginning of 16th century with the arrival of Franciscan missionaries in the region in 1578, almost 57 years after Ferdinand Magellan- a Portuguese explorer under the services of the flag of Spain first set foot on these islands, a Spanish expedition under Marshal Martin de Goiti reached Sulayman’s settlement.
The missionary activities of the Franciscans in the region began by Fray Pablo de Jesus and Bartolome Ruiz. To make the work of evangelization and the process of civilization easier and possible, they adopted the system called “Reduccion” which compelled the natives scattered in the far flung area as congregate site and form an embryonic Christian settlement.
After arriving in the islands, they were assigned in the conversion of the upland villages of the Caramoan provinces. They succeeded in establishing the first Christian settlement with its mission base in Lagonoy. They were also responsible for the foundation of another mission outpost called “Seminundig”. They go back to Isarog establishing called “Himaragat” their base. They extended the orbit of other mission, geography and laid groundwork for the opening mission of Caramoan.
In 13 January 1701, the Spanish authorities sent two missionaries in the mountains of Isarog, namely: Fray Francisco de la Cruz came from Diocese of Avila in Spain.
In 1792, an Episcopal report indicated that the original settlement was located in a place called “Paniniman” an ancient coastal settlement located on the northern portion of the sea. This was probably the site were Fray Francisco de la Cruz y Oropesa, a zealous and vulnerable 60 year old priest who penetrated the Caramoan peninsula who founded a place called “Baluarte” or “Binanuaanan” in 1687 and served as minister while gathering residents to establish the first mission of what would come to be the town of Caramoan until it was turned- over to Sagrada- Mitra in 1696 for administration.
A succession of Missionary Priest took over the administration of the growing community followed by a Filipino Secular priest. To safeguard the Christian community from the moro pirates which frequented the coast of the peninsula, it was decided to place the parish under the patronage of St. Michael the Archangel.
The chapel made of light materials underwent continuous repair and renovation after two centuries, a permanent building was constructed out of adobe, local stone and clay information revealed that it was all men’s folk of the town during its construction were obliged to render free labor under the direction of well-known artisans and artifacts.
Even today, inspite of local church schism, people or Caramoan remain steadfast adherent of Roman Catholic church. One of the earliest villages which evolved in Caramoan was Tabgon. The same Episcopal report gave a brief description of this visita as adjoining villages were then called. From this village, a four (4) hour walk through the rugged paths led to Tabgon people of the village were originally residing at Laui.
Aside from Tabgon, the visita of Tabiguian. Gibgos,Pambohan, Bahi and Parogcan from the nucleus of this expanding town of Caramoan.
On 26 October 1818, an impressive moro raiding forces headed by Prince Nune, son of Maguindanao Sultan and Datu Amalayco and Caratao who merged forces were son over Tabgon Bay. At 6:00 oc’ clock in the morning of this day, Pedro Estevan, the plunky moro fighter from Tabaco, Albay aided by Pedro Alvarez from Sorsogon managed the moros in a fierce battle which lasted until nightfall.
The Bicolano defenders achieved a resounding victory by capturing pancos (swift moro vessels) killed 5oo of the attackers and captured substantial number of these moros who fled to the mountains. The moro prince escaped and Caratao who abandoned his ship also made a hasty escape.
Deputy Commander Blanco sailing back that night met the moro vessels and the Battle of Pitogo Bay commenced. Although this battle was brief, Blanco supposedly sank 10 moro pancos and carried off many captives and cannons.
In the first week of November, 60 dead moros were gathered from the beach of visita called San Nicolas. This victorious battle signaled the virtual end of moro tyranny in the locality those marked a new milestone in the lives of the people in Caramoan.
The grim picture of the moro raids which dominated the pages in history of Caramoan since its foundation was gradually replaced by prospects of prosperity and stability around the second half of the 19th century.
The name Caramoan has been officially used from 1687 up to the present taken the archives of the local priest in a book entitled “ESTADO” a comprehensive report of the geographic, topographic, statistic and religious history of the Phillipines written and printed by S. Gregorio Magno. The author of Binondo, Manila in 1863. The Official name of the Municipality had been confirmed further during the American occupation upon establishment of the America Civil government in 1901 when the organization of the Philippines into provinces, municipalities and cities took place.
The bloody climax of Filipino struggle for freedom was the Revolution of 1896, which was also the culmination of revolts against Spanish rule. The National hero Dr. Jose P. Rizal led a reform movement in the 1880’s which eventually led to the 1896 revolution. Dr. Rizal was tried in Manila and was sentenced to die by musketry.
His death fuelled the fires of revolution and the June 12, 1898, leaders of the revolution declared the country a sovereign state and proclaimed the first Republic of the Phillippines.
While the revolution embroiled the country, the seeds of revolution were sown and sprown all over the countrysides.
Spaniards rule was administered through the Capitanes del Pueblo and records of the parish in the municipality revealed that years 1687 and 1881 were made historically important due to the fact that it was the date of the foundation up to the period of cruelty by the Spaniards to the people in the locality.
Many succeeding Capitanes del Pueblo held office 1891 to 1903 until thereafter were descendants of Don Jose Alvarez who was married to Gertrudis Martinez who served as Capitan del Pueblo in 1974 at the place formerly called “Baluarte or Binanuanan” which was transferred to the present site much bigger than the former. One of their sons, Francisco Alvarez was elected Assemblyman to the First Philippines Assembly in 1907. However, their fixed tenure could not be ascertained.
Benedicto Alvarez II
Spain declared war against USA because of the latter’s intervention over Cuba’s fight for independence, Cuba was then a colony of Spain, and Spain was defeated.
Few known local residents participated in the revolutionary struggle for freedom in Caramoan.
By the late 1800’s Spain lost control over the Philippines with its major defeat by American fleet in Manila Bay relinquished hold in the country. But freedom would not come so easily for Filipinos eventually found themselves under their erstwhile all, the American.
1895-1897 Don Leoncio Curva
1898 Mariano Villamor
1899-1900 Don Carlos Alvarez
The economy of the municipality has always been dependent of fishing and farming, during the later part of the 18th century, settlers living near the shorelines were already engaged in fishing and farming, while settlers living in the hinterland were mainly farmers.
Village governments were run through the Teniente del Barrios to maintain peace and order. It was only in the last decade of the 19th century when a church was made in solid construction and school building with its construction materials drawn mainly from the pristine forests and rich quarries of stones and lime.
The first cartilla, an educational method handed down by Spanish priests was administered by a certain Gertrudis Rodriguez where children are taught to read and write Bicol.
1901-1903 Don Carlos Alvarez (Appointed)
From 1903 to 1918, the rapid increase in the population was influenced by over-employment. The Capitanes del Pueblo gave way to town “Presidentes” which at first appointed. Don Carlos Alvarez was elected town President when public school system started in 1905 with Mr. Emiliano Ramirez Padua, Mr. Ursolino Ramirez and Mrs. Fermina Clavecilla were the first three (3) native teachers appointed along with American Major Berry as Officer of the American Infantry assigned in the area until 1907. Later, regular elections were held following results arranged in chronological order:
1907-1910 Don Estanislao Alarcon y Martirez
Don Atanacio Rodriguez was the town President from 1910-1983 when supervisorship was given to Filipino teachers. The District of Partido administered by D.O Bradley from 1905-1983.
1913 – 1915 Don Tomas Dianela
1913 – 1918 Don Ursolino Ramirez
1918 – 1923 Don Tomas Dianela
1924 – 1928 Don Hermogenes P. Obias
1929 – 1932 Juan Ruiz Alvarez
In early 1930’s its just a small community with around 60 families with agriculture based livelihood. Common products like rice, corn, coconut and sweet potato was raised. Livestock such as hogs, carabaos and cows are raised using abaca as ropes for animals. No roads connecting the poblacion to other villages so products were simply for personal consumption.
Neighbors practiced barter system as method of exchanging goods. Mobility to outside villages is made through “siya” carabao driven sled on foot.
1933-1934 Claudio B. Cordis
Hermogenes P. Obias was again elected town President from 1934-1941 who died in a train accident during the Japanese occupation. Until after Mrs. Basilisa Arao Obias was elected first Woman executive before World war II broke out.
Mrs. Basilina Obias, wife of the late Hermogenes P. Obias was elected first woman town President from 1941-1942.
Vice-Mayor Vicente Arcilla Lara
Dionisio P. Narvaez
Wenceslao Dianela Huit
Legal Basis of Existence: Executive order No. 205 and 218 dated May 20, 1945
SEAL OF MUNICIPALITY
Village lives are simple and secure until the onset of World War II on December 7, 1941. The presence Japanese imperial forces disturbed the usual tranquil life of the people due to its effects making residents to hide in caves leaving behind their properties while men left their homes to volunteer as member of the USAFFC or forcibly joined the guerilla underground freedom movement either under the command of Damaso Dianela at camp Tinawagan, Denrica, Garchitorena, Camarines Sur or Francisco Dames Boayes a.k.a. Turko. 52nd Infantry Battallion. Vinzons Division at Sitio Bagangan, Ili-Centro. Women apparently had marry early as Japanese soldier abused them when seen and if they resisted parents are suspected guerilla sympathizers or supporters included in their wanted list. Because of this developments, students had use sticks as pen and leaves as substitute to paper. Schools were made garrisons forcing the students to salute them. Even the church at poblacion was burned so the people learned to support the ideals of the freedom fighters.
Resistance Against the Japanese Imperial Army – The inhuman treatment and uncertainties of their fate in the hands of the Japanese Imperial forces drove many men and women to join the Guerilla underground movement. The first organized movement was led by a certain Damaso Dianela of camp Tinawagan. However, this command do not last long because of abuses. In 1943, Fil-American guerilla fighter under the command of Francisco Dames Boayes a.k.a. Turko from Daet, Camarines Norte came to the municipality and recruited more or less 4,000 men and women coming from nearby municipalities based at Denrica, Garchitorena, but later on claimed as separate municipality after the liberation period.
Because of the strategic position of Caramoan and the nearness to Isarog mountains it became the shelter of the retreating Japanese forces wherein the guerillas of Col. Teofilo Padua known as Camp Isarog was based. The increasing number of Japanese soldier brought far to the people so many fled to the mountains and Catanduanes group of Islands for safety from cruelty and abuses. A bit of relief was felt when American forces loaded at a submarine appeared at the vicinity of Pandanan rumored to have sunken the Japanese battle ship carrying Sumatran gold under the command of General Yamashita reached the municipality at the close of 1944.
A Historical Glimpse – Knowing the character and order of war, a great number of men and women slipped away and join the freedom movement. Foremost among them was Arcadio P. de los Santos, an illustrious and be medalled hero of the batlle of Salvacion. It was his ardent pursuit for love of liberty and freedom which led them to join the 54th Infantry Battalion, Vinzons Division, Turko-Command unit together with Capt. Cerilo Nilayan, who experienced the bombings in Bataan and later became a Tactical Officer at the PMA, Baguio, Lt. Henry, Mabesa, Jesus Sarmiento Sr., Ursolino R. Enciso, Espiritu S. Borja, Felix O. Arcilla, Juan Alarte Sr., Sofronio A. Borja, Sulpicio Cepeda, Jose A. Teoxon, Robert C. Culvera, Felipe C. Culvera, Graciano Velasco, Felix Velasco, Vicente Velasco, Roland Bonagua, Robinson Corral, Jose Cama, Diego Dy-Cok, Alberto Arcilla, Glicerio O. Alarkon, Wilfredo R. Rodriguez, Jose Palaya Sr., Antonio F. Francia, Bonifacio Cama, Timoteo Fernandez, Pedro B. Arcilla, Alfredo Colayo, Esteban Laureta, Urcino Laceda, Enrique Sarmiento Sr., Ludovico S. Valencia, Arcadio Ampeloquio Sr., Artemio Teoxon, Zoilo Teoxon, Domingo Teoxon, Salvador Teoxon, Pedro Teoxon, Celestino Alarkon, Ceferino Alarkon, Florencio Isaac, Santos Bergonio, Vicente Fernando Sr., Fernando Dacillo, Vicente A. Madayag, Dr. Santos V. Basino, Luis Yap Alcazar, Generoso A. Reyes, Honesto Obias, David Alarte, Agustin P. Altez, Jacinto Berja, Santos Alarcon, Bonificio D. Borebor Sr., Felipe Herrero Sr., Dolores Arcilla, Gertrudis Hernandez, Alejandra O. Padua, Rosalina R. Padua, Angelina Berja and many others whose identities and achievements are nowhere to be traced including those who died without receiving benefits some with pending claims either from the United States of America or Philippine government.
In July 4, 1946, Commonwealth government under President Manuel Luis Quezon declared independence
By virtue of Executive Order No. 205 and 218 has provided its legal existence Mr. Glicerio Ondavilla Alarkon, a teacher and Notary Public was appointed town executive in 1947 then elected town Mayor under the Philippine Republic during the time of President Manuel A. Roxas. His Vice-Mayor Esteban P. Azaña and Councilors were:
Mr. Pedro Japa
Mr. Domingo V. Ruiz
Mr. Macario Palaya
Mr. Jose Alvarez
Mr. Lorenzo Valencia
Mr. Ildefonso Royol
Justice of the peace and – Atty. Felix B. Panis
Mr. Pedro B. Arcilla – Municipal Treasurer
Mr. Francisco Formalejo – Principal Clerk
Mr. Espiritu S. Borja – Internal Revenue Clerk
Mr. Glicerio Sarmiento – Land Tax Clerk
Mr. Roberto C. Culvera – Clerk
Mr. Ibo V. Dianela – Chief of Police
Mr. P/Sgt. Saturnino R. Israel
Police No. 1 – Florentino Cordis
Police No. 2 – Regino Sunchioso
Police No. 3 – Genaro Sapian
Police No. 4 – Narciso Corpuz
Police No. 5 – Generoso Sarmiento
Police No. 6 – Joaquin Alvarez
Police No. 7 – Pedro Mendez
Police No. 8 – Pedro Velasco
Police No. 9 – Silverio Cama
Police No. 10 – Domingo Valencia
Police No. 11 – Crsitano Versoza
Police No. 12 – Salvador Beltran
BUREAU OF POST
Mr. Dominador A. Fernandez – Postmaster
Mr. Honesto R. Obias – Engine Operator
Mr. Marcial Beriso – Mail Carriers
Mr. Emeterio Beriso
Mr. Gaudencio Obias
Dr. MN Dalisay – Resident Sanitary Division
Mr. Cecinio Sancho Padua
Provincial Government in 1947 under Hon. Sebastian C. Moll Jr. – 2nd District
Hon. Jose Surtida – Judge, Court of First Instance
Atty. Manuel Estipona – Provincial Fiscal
Atty. Jose Nepomuceno – Asst. Fiscal
After the ravages of war, lives, church, schools and municipal hall were built. Parents began to send their children to schools particularly those who are economically well-off in Naga City to acquire higher education.
Roads construction as part of rehabilitation extends up to Guijalo materialized. As a result motorized transportation came about. The first jeepney from Guijalo – Bical route owned by a certain “Biano” A horse driven cart known as “Karitela” served the transport needs of the people. Products are transported outside while trading abaca and rattan to Tobacco, Albay prevailed. Fresh fishes from coastal villages come in.
Mayor Alarkon initiated the construction of Gabaldon building and a vocational school named “Pioneer”. He appointed Dr. Nilo Oliveros Roa, a native of Guinobatan, Albay as Rural Health Physician who introduced the use of water-sealed toilets. Established the Farmers Cooperative and Marketing Association (FACOMA) managed by Mr Generoso Amaro Reyes. Hired the services of popular entertainment orchestra conductors Mariano Javier Teoxon and Claudio B. Cordis of Mabuhay Musical Players.
The Caramoan Teachers Association (CARTEACH) was organized to support the pressing needs of teachers in the municipality under the stewardship of Mr. and Mrs.Pelagio Señar, Sr.
On July 21, 1949 the northern part of the Caramoan from Lidong to Cabinitan River became the new Municipality of Garchitorena by virtue of Executive Order 205. About a dacade later the southern portion starting from Pambuhan River was created into the municipal district of Garchitorena on December 15, 1960 under E.O 218. Garchitorena was converted to a full-fledged municipality on June 22, 1963 by virtue of Republic Act 3754.
Mr. Juan Brilliantes Cordis, a retired Public School teacher was elected Municipal Mayor in 1951 with Estban P. Azaña as Vice-Mayor and Councilors Crecencio Hufancia Beltran, Jose Ferran Valencia, Marcelo Ma. Bonagua, Domingo H. Royol, Tiburcio Breis, Eliseo Basiño and Sixto Lopez.
He was re-elected in 1955, with Vice-Mayor Esteban P. Azaña and Councilors Felizardo O. Alarkon, Sr., Pedro Ferran Valencia, Domingo H. Royol, Vicente A. Lara, and Lucia Arcilla Fernando. His administration has constructed the intersectional boundary landmark through a concrete Dr. Jose P. Rizal monument in commemoration of his heroic acts during the Spanish colonization in the country.
During the incumbency of Mayor Cecinio Sancho Padua, former Sanitary Inspector and Agent of Gov. Juan F. Trivino from 1959 with Vice-Mayor Virgilio P. Señar, Sr. and Councilors Felipe Clores Culvera, Jose Fernando Riva, Robinson Corral, Lucila A. Fernando, Faustino Borre, Constantino Laureta Cordial, Sr., and Fulgencio Alvarez suffered great difficulties due to Typhoon Harrieth and Frida in the late month of December 1959 when flood engulfed and ravaged Caramoan put it under water that lasted for two(2) days. Folks often recall this tragic event accompanied by heavy rains which washed away almost all living animal and numerous homeless people dead. Abandoned cargo shipping vessel suspected for loading smuggled cigarettes somewhere in the activity of Basod, Barangay Oring. That calamity focused the attention of national and provincial leaders to visit the municipality.
A movie house was opened by Mr. Carlos Laureta Cordial, a teacher from abroad in Guam through a generated 16mm projector and stopped operations in 1990 due to proliferation of betamax and DVD players.
There was a big change characterized by reforms and peaceful atmosphere because people were able to rehabilitate its roads was opened and complete for travel, their homes and farms during his 2nd term with Vice-Mayor Felipe C. Culvera, a DPWH Maintenance Capataz and Councilors Trinidad Padua Ruiz, Venancio Breis, Pedro B. Gianan, Dominador C. Alarcon, Sr. Jaime Fernandez, Robinson Corral, Anacieto Plopinio Alvarez, and Faustino Borre.
He instill and propagate agriculture as instrument of progress to the people’s mind thereby introducing private sector business venture namely: Dr. Juvenal Lapus and Dr. Wulfrano A. Ricafort medical clinics and infirmary which has served and saved countless people to avail medical assistance time of emergencies and Rice mill of Mr. Arcadio P. De los Santos and Tonga (Amaro) to cater the needs of local planters and marginal farmers at poblacion,
His 3rd term Vice-Mayor was Carlos Plopinio Alvarez, a teacher by profession with Councilors Julio Agravante Ables, Jose Cama, Hermogenes Alarte, Epifanio Arcilla Valer, Jaime Fernandez, Trinidad P. Ruiz, Pedro B. Gianan, and Jaime Azana.
He had constructed the Manapot River flood control project to prevent further erosion within the forefront of church patio wherein the 3-century old church was located and National road .800m road concreting which until now remained passable during the regime of the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos in his re-election bid in 1969.
In October 13, 1970, a Japanese cargo ship led by a certain Capt. Shiraki full of log fletches and crews was abandoned but treated humanely and provided with appropriate medical assistance for almost a month at Lapus Medical clinic during a typhoon Sening surges at the vicinity of Sitio Cagnipa, Barangay Guijalo.
Caramoan Hosted the Partido District meet while constructing the Administration building in 1971 at the same time implementing the Green Revolution program, a national government initiative to support varieties of seedlings and fertilizers for marginal farmers to increase agricultural productivity.
His 4th term Vice-Mayor was Carlos Laureta Cordial with Councilors Romeo B. Alarte, Sr., Juan A. Cordis, Rafael Alarcon Lejarde (Resigned), Juan Alarcon Dianela, Epifanio A. Valer, Asterio Alarkon Hernandez, Generoso A. Reyes and Pedro B. Gianan in 1971 local elections.
Recognizing the initiatives of Mr. Florito Hufancia Culvera as PACD officers in the organization of the Samahang Nayon cooperatives which acted as media fueling network for government programs in testing technologies in agriculture inputs that co-partners with DPWH installation of Jetmatic pumps along the constructed farm to market roads benefiting some well-off families in putting-up private irrigation system somewhere in Barangays Terogo and Tabiguian in which until now remained operational and maintained by the National Irrigation Administration (NIA).
Recruited COCOFED scholars through PCA coordinator Mr. Gaudioso V. Azana from deserving poor coconut planting generated income families within the municipality.
A Taiwanese ship was detected and apprehended by the local police force led by Chief of Police Antonio Fortuno Francia upon orders of Mayor Cecinio S. Padua at the territorial jurisdiction at Sitio Malindog of Barangay Gibgos.
A church-backed cultural show of Mrs. Gloria Berja, a Singer and Entertainer from abroad initiated by former Parish Priest Justiniano de la Cruz in 1975.
In December 1975, during and after the declaration of Martial in 1972 the Sangguniang Bayan was instituted with additional Sectoral composition from Agriculture, Capital, labor and LIGA chapter Official as well as the Kabataang Barangays.
The death untimely death of Mayor Padua while in service last February 13, 1976 relinguished his position to the incumbent Vice-Mayor Carlos L. Cordial as OIC, Municipal Mayor in February 14, 1976.
Followed by power supply energinization through the use of a generator set upon his request as CASURECO IV Director representing the municipality from National Electrification Administration (NEA) in 1977 and the formal opening of the Caramoan Community college initiated by the late retired District supervisor Bonifacio D. Borebor, Sr. Backed by Asseblyman Luis R. Villafuerte at the Batasan Pambansa.
In 1978, a potable water supply system was constructed at Barangays Tabgon and Solnopan through the Bicol River Basin Development program chaired by Director Jesse B. Robredo, former City Mayor of Naga City and the late Eng’r. Felizardo Arcilla Alarkon, Jr. as Planning Division Chielf.
A Geo-Thermal plant was envisioned and constructed at Sitio Caulian, Barangay Hanopol during the incumbency of late Governor Felix Abad Fuentebella who replaced Gov. Felix O. Alfelor, Sr. in 1976.
On March 1, 1979, Dr. Bienvenido Caneza Alarcon was appointed by His Excellency, President Ferdinand E. Marcos replacing OIC, Municipal Mayor Carlos L. Cordial excluding all incumbent local officials and other sectoral representatives.
He was elected Municipal Mayor on January 30, 1980 local elections with Vice-Mayor Juan P. Alvarez, Jr. and Sangguniang Bayan members Luisa Tan Co, Felipe C. Culvera, Dr. Santos V. Basino, Juan A. Cordis, Raul B. Reyes, Sofronio A. Borja, Wilfredo R. Rodriguez Sr., and Asterio A. Hernandez.
He reclassified the position Classfication and Pay plan of the municipality, Implement the projects under the Barangay Improvement and Development Assistance (BIDA) funds, Update the socio-economic profile, provincial caravan for the opening of the Caramoan peninsula road in 1981 and solicit funds for the construction of Caramoan Hospital from Budget Secretary Jaime C. Laya upon recommendation of Gov. Felix A. Fuentebella of Camarines Sur recommended personel to man its organizational structure in 1985.
On June 16, 1986 incumbent SB member Juan A. Cordis, an educator and civic leader was appointed OIC, Municipal Mayor by virtue of the 1986 EDSA Revolutionary government with Vice-Mayor Juan P. Alvarez, Jr. and SB members Davin Naa Fernandez, Ursolino R. Enciso, Felipe C. Culvera. Pechilito Azana, Leonardo Lejarde Arcilla, Zafiro Lara Obias, Maximino Teoxon Breis and Wenceslao Campehios.
His administration conceptualized the construction of small-Water Impounding project at Barangay Hanopol but it was constructed during the incumbency of the late municipal Mayor Corsiñito C. Padua; Construction of Basketball court at the Caramoan Central school compound in preparation for the forthcoming Partido Sectoral meet as host municipality.
The 1987 Constitution took effect immediately upon its ratification by a majority of the votes cast in the plebiscite on February 2, 1987. Its ratification was announced on February 11, 1987 by Proclamation No. 58.
The ratification has its effect of completely repealing all previous Constitutions in 1935. 1973 and Provisional Constitution. It also marked the establishment of a New Republic which was followed by a full restoration of democratic institutions with the election of members of Congress on May2, 1987, provincial and city, municipal officials on January 18, 1988 and barangay officials on March 29,1989.
On November 17, 1987, a caretaker government was create on its way to normalcy with the appointment of Dr. Nilo Oliveros Roa, a retired Municipal Health Officer as OIC, Municipal Mayor with Vice-Mayor Domingo Canezo Padua and SB members Romeo B. Alarte, Sr. Pedro Breis, Jose Acerdano Teoxon, Miguel Arcilla Fernando, Melanio Riva Pedro Alarkon Hernandez and Bienvenido Sape Valle.
Former Provincial warden and eldest son of the late Mayor Cecinio S. Padua, Consiñito Canezo Padua was elected Municipal Mayor with Vice-Mayor Zafiro L. Obias and Sangguniang Bayan members Dr. Santos Virtus Basino, Jose Bascuna Avilla III, Maximino T. Breis, Cesar Delloro Dianela, Ernesto Bergonio Ruelo, Ursolino R. Enciso, felipe Fernandez Herrero, Jr., and Felisicimo Velasco Villarete.
His administration was able to increase the salaries and wages of local officials and employees with the end view of additional manpower mandated under the local Government Code of 1991 otherwise known as RA 7160 under a new organizational structure and update the Municipal Socio-economic profile of the municipality.
By 1989, new set of barangay officials benefited the construction of multi-purpose pavements in all barangays under close supervision by the DPWH. day care centers and solar driers began to appear pioneered at Barangay Tawog and municipal wide organization of Rural Improvement Club (RIC) was made coinciding the implementation of Barangay Bianuahan and Lubas LAKASS project through livelihood and skills training programs to combat malnutrition.
Devolved agencies like DSWD, DA and DOH were totally absorbed by the local government units in terms of personnel and salaries.
Piece-meal increase of employees and salaries was felt due to scarce financial resources notably agricultural devastation on coconuts and abaca plantations because of typhoons and diseases affecting local economy and poverty.
In 1992, Juan A. Cordis regain the mayoralty with Vice-Mayor Francisco Amaro San Pablo and Sangguniang Bayan members Cesar D. Dianela, Erwin N. Fernandez, Felisicimo V. Villarete, Salvador Alarcon Caneza, Maximino T. Breis, Dr. Santos V. Basino, Virgilio Palaya Gianan and Ursolino R. Enciso.
His administration conceptualized the establishment of Technical and Vocational school housed at the ABC hall with the late Mr. Rudolfo Ruiz, an industrial arts teacher and experienced mason worker abroad was hired in an honorarium basis taken from the local Treasury as instructor in Carpentry and Barangay High schools at Sta.Cruz and Cabacongan.
He has donated space out of local government property at Barangay Solnopan for the construction of its hall and permitted the construction of Tawog Barangay Hall within the municipal compound. He pioneered the construction of DOTC building at Guijalo as terminal for passengers plying to sabang via motorized seacrafts and the water system at Barangay Ili-Centro sourced out from Sitio Manlabog-labog thereat.
He was re-elected in 1995 with Vice-Mayor Zafiro L. Obias and SB members Maximino T. Obias, Felisicimo V. Villarete, Eduardo B. Bonita, Jose B. Avila III, Nestor Alerta Reyes, Felipe F. Herrero, Jr, Raymundo Rosario Valencia, and Salvador A. Caneza.
Before the end of his second term he was able to make the containerized van ice-plant operational to cater the needs of marginal fishermen and increasing demand of the people for ice supply but unluckily it has not earn the backing-up and assistance for sustainability by the succeeding administrations. Before the end of his second term he was able to make the containerized van ice-plant operational to cater the needs of marginal fishermen and increasing demand of the people for ice supply but unluckily it has not earn the blacking-up and assistance for sustainability by the succeeding administrations.
In 1998, Mrs. Marilyn Hernandez Co, a businesswoman and a civic leader unseated him with Vice-Mayor Zafiro L. Obias and SB members Raul Fernandez Villarete, William Alarcon Breis, Edmundo Sarmiento Ruiz Jr. Melanio Virtus Basino, Eduardo Recto Alvarez, Danny Cledera Alarkon, Enrique Vargas Sarmiento, Jr. and Solberg Hufancia Alfon.
Among others, the full computerization of local government officers and the installation of public calling services operated by the Bayantel earnmarked the beginning of her term.
She was re-elected overwhelmingly in 2001 with Vice-Mayor Zafario L Obias and Sangguniang bayan members Juan A. Cordis, Eduardo B. Bonita, Francis R. Benemerito, Celestino Bien Enciso, William A. Breis, Raul F. Villarete , Vicente Gallarte Azana and Diego Ruiz Cepeda which led to the erection of St. Fatima statue out of her benevolence along the gateway of the churchyard, conceptualized the construction of Municipal Health center and Riverbank Protection project funded out from a loan from the LOGOFIND but implemented and partially completed during the incumbency of former Mayor Francis Rodriguez Benemerito and the construction of New Municipal hall building.
In 2004, Francis R. Benemerito, a nursing graduate and close associate of Provincial Governor of Camarines Sur tagged as the youngest ever elected Municipal Mayor in the municipality with Vice-Mayor Juan A. Cordis and Sangguniang Bayan members Raul F. Villarete, RomeoOjenar Marto, William A. Breis, Zafiro L. Obias who died while in office then replaced by his wife, Lydia Canlas Obias on September 2003, Celestino B. Enciso, Edgar Recto Alvarez, AdelfaTeoxon Purisima and Vicente G. Azana has paved the way for the construction of concrete Gutter, Guijalo causeway, two (2) pick-up trucks, provincially funded stage inside the sports complex and drainage canals within the poblacion (town proper) heavy equipment loan from the Philippine National Bank and infrastructure projects from the Provincial Government of Camarines Sur developing Gota Beach as Village resort within the coverage of the Caramoan National Park by Virtue of a memorandum of agreement with the PAMP – DENR together with the Presidential bridge at Sitio Napla, Barangay Ilawod.
In 2007, Eng’r. Constantino Huit Cordial, Jr. a professional engineer and licensed constractor ventured as Private Sector representative at the Partido Development Administration (PDA) eventually won the Mayoralty race against incumbent town executive overwhelmingly.
Re-electionist, Vice-Mayor Juan A. Cordis his runningmate won again together with Sangguniang Bayan members Romeo O. Marto, Lydia C. Obias, Irene R. Breis, Juanita Plopinio Belleza, Diego R. Cepeda, Eduardo B. Bonita, Carlos Baynosa Chavez and Adelfa T. Purisima.
Highlighting is administration was the fifty-five (55) units streetlights along the national road traversing from Barangay Caputatan up to Barangay Terogo from Congressman Fuentebella and the President visit of Her Excellency, President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo last May 5, 2008 which paved the way to the road concreting of Guijalo to Ilawod – Bikal route, a long time obsession of every Caramoanon.
Performance and dedication in public service made them to have an easy way to win during the 2010 first automated National and local elections with 3rd termer Vice-Mayor Juan A. Cordis and SB members Irene R. Breis, Raul F.Villarete, Manolo Alarcon Pineda, Jr. a rank and file employee of the LGU turned politician, Leopoldo Labiano Rodavia, Juan Cepeda Cordis III, Romeo O. Marto, Eduardo B. Bonita and Adelfa T. Purisima.
These materials are compiled from the files of Mr. Arthur Sancho, Public Information Officer, Municipal Government of Caramoan, Camarines Sur.